Friday, May 23, 2014

Using Poetry to Rescue the Captive

Poetry is a dynamic method that can be used to rescue a captive mind. The urban captive are all around us, desiring to be freed. Some are captive in juvenile centers and jails. Some roam the streets freely but their mind is still captive. 

Words flowing creatively are the foundations of hip hop music. Perhaps this is the reason, young people tend to listen and reflect when the right poetry is spoken.  I am constantly looking for relevant poetry that can be recited to free the captive mind. 


The below poem, “Will the Real Man Stand Up,” was written by an unnamed inmate at Marion County Jail II in the 2001 Selected Program Highlights Vol. 1 of 2001 newsletter Knowledge to Go, published by the Purdue Cooperative Extension.  


WILL THE REAL MAN STAND UP
Now the Bible says, the steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord.
But it looks like I have to take two steps back just to take one step forward.
So will the real man stand up and show me the way, show me what to do, tell me what to say.
Now the Bible says a good man obtaineth favor of the Lord. Now favor is something I need
But I definitely cannot afford.

So will the real man stand up and get on your knees to pray…put in a good word for me so I can make it through the day.
Now the Bible says a good man leaveth an inheritance to his children’s children. But it seems like I’m just leaving children behind, their stomachs are empty and so are their minds.
So will the real man stand up? Show me how to make my family right. Hold your children close. And tell them you love ‘em every night.

The Bible says, “A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things.”
Well I don’t know about you, but I’m not bringing forth anything but my hand and you best fill it upon my demand.

So will the real man stand up and show me how a heart should be?
Show me that a heart doesn’t have to be hard. Show me a heart that is set free.
The Bible says, if any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man and able to bridle the whole body. Well I don’t know about you but I just got my mind on the next hottie.

So will the real man stand up and show me how I need to be? So I can respect my queen and she can respect me.
Now will the real man stand up? Just let me know who you are. Cause when you stand up, I’ll be watching you, even if you aint watching me.

No comments:

Post a Comment